How to Make Your Tires Last Longer
No matter how you drive, your tires will take a beating on Cape Coral streets over time. Since they’re a considerable investment, you should know some tips on how to make your tires last longer. The service department at Val Ward Cadillac can help you get a long life from tires you bought from us or elsewhere if you follow their tips on how to understand why your tire tread is wearing out and what driving habits will lead to long life tires that’ll get you where you need to be in Naples.
What Causes Tire Tread Wear?
The first thing to understand when you want long-life tires is to understand the patterns of tread wear on your tires. When you know how your tires are wearing out you can take actions that will preserve them for the long haul. Take a look:
- Inner & Outer Tread Wear: You might hear this called “toe wear” or “camber wear,” and its excess wear on the inner or outer part of the tire that’s usually caused by misalignment. Schedule a service appointment to have your alignment checked if you notice this kind of tire wear.
- Patchy Wear: If the tread wear on your tires is showing up in patches, they’re likely out of balance. Like misalignment, this is an easy fix in our service department.
- Center Wear: This can be caused by overinflated tires. Check your owner’s manual to learn the correct PSI for your tires, then measure it with a tire gauge.
- Edge Wear: Underinflation is likely the culprit. Follow the same steps as you would for center wear to prevent this.
- Cupping Wear: Cupping wear is diagonal scalloping of the tire. This indicates a serious issue with the suspension system and requires a service appointment to fix it.
Tips for Having Long Life Tires
Check your owner’s manual for the exact maintenance schedule that’s right for your Cadillac, but here’s an idea of what to expect:
- Check Your Tire Pressure Monthly – Regular driving can cause your tires to lose 1 PSI per month. That adds up on Bonita Springs streets. Checking your tire pressure is quick, easy, and inexpensive with a tire gauge.
- Rotate Your Tires Every 5,000 Miles – Rotating the tires allows the ones working the hardest to take a break. Tire rotation should be a part of every oil change appointment.
- Get Your Tires Balanced – If the weight is distributed to one wheel more than the other, this could also create uneven wear as you read above. Have your tires balanced after they’ve been rotated.
- Check the Vehicle Alignment Twice Yearly – You also read how misalignment can make your tires wear out faster than necessary. You’ll know they’re out of alignment because it’ll often make your steering wheel shake. This can happen over time, and be corrected during regular maintenance. If you hit the edge of a curb or a pothole, and it knocks your tires out of alignment, make an appointment to have them realigned before they cause more wear and tire.
Have Your Tires Checked at Val Ward Cadillac
Now that you know how to make your tires last longer, contact Val Ward Cadillac when it’s time for an alignment, balancing, or a whole new set. It’s easy to use our tire finder from home to order exactly what tires your Cadillac needs.